Last week we began this series A Family That Prays Together Stays Together by recognizing that we should be praying for ourselves first as we begin to pray for our families.
Now there are a lot of things that we can pray about for ourselves. We have A LOT of things that need working on-well at least I do! But even though they are specific sins and shortcomings that we will definitely be pouring out our hearts to God about, there are some general things that each person should pray about.
The place I found myself looking was Galatians 5:22-23
But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law.
Each day I see my shortcoming in one or all of these areas or should I say fruits. I pray about bearing different fruits and more often than not it seems like those prayers are not answered…Well so I thought.
But then I realized that when I pray for patience and a situation arises to REALLY test my patience, it is not that my prayers are not answered, but that God is providing the opportunity for me to trust Him and allow Him to give me the patience I needed to go THROUGH the situation.
So I continue to pray for each one of these fruits. Some days I have to pray harder about a particular fruit, other days it is another. But I will keep on praying because God has promised to make me into the person He wants me to be- the person:
– who loves and is loving
– who is joyous and spreads joy to all
– who has peace despite all that is raging around me
– who shows kindness not just to those who love me, but to my enemies
– who does good to and for everyone, irrespective of who they are
– who is faithful in all things, even the little ones that seem so insignificant
– who has a gentle disposition despite having the strength of God available to me
– who has self control though pushed to the limits
And what God has promised He is faithful to accomplish. I just have to let Him!